Thursday, February 10, 2011

New Arrivals

When our Robin Hood library was completed we were given over 7,000 brand new books.  Although this is a plus, there is a downside. Some of the books are not interesting,  not an appropriate level, or not what my students are looking for.  Thank goodness we have some NYSTL funds available every year so I can order what my school community really wants.  It is a small budget so I really needed to consider the most effective way to spend it.  By that I mean "What books should I order that I KNOW students will read!"

The biggest interest my students have right now are the graphic novels.  One series in particular was missing from our collection....Dragon Ball Z.  Not only was Dragon Ball Z requested several times this year, some students even added them to the wish list I had on the bulletin board.  So their wish was my command and the books were ordered. Unfortunately, I did not order enough of them because the very first day they were made available the books were snatched up within minutes.  Guess I will have to wait for next year to add more Dragon Ball Z titles.  In the meantime, I will promote books on dinosaurs, the Harry the Horrible series, the Dan Gutman books and the Diario de Greg we have received.  Nothing like the presence of new books to catch my students interest...love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment